Monday, September 19, 2011

Age of Distrust - Whispers of War EP



It was sideways on their facebook


Oh, hell!?!? More Ohio metal… If my loyal readers have noticed, I am not exactly a large metal head. A good band I can listen to as long as the melody is right, but after my lengthy touring as a metal road tech you can have it. The genre’s of steel that have been shoved down my throat reach from hair to bald and everywhere in between. In this case, I have heard what Ohio has to offer and 9 times out of 10 I would rather partake in a self induced brain biopsy. Actually, if I have one more metal head sing a Man-O-War song in my face I think I may commit a very heinous act of violence.



So why, you may ask, would I be reviewing this morsel of Midwest metal? I’m friends with the band…that tends to get one shoe horned into a tight corner at times. Judgment dictates that my taste in music is going to really hate this EP. I get apprehensive about anything but 80’s thrash when metal is the subject. I also fancy the aesthetic atmosphere that black metal offers; that would be the end of my liking of Viking North extreme metal scene. So why keep meandering around the subject at hand…



Age of Distrust, native to Chillicothe, Oh, deliver a six song EP of fair devastation. I dare say the best album this town has seen since Lunarium or maybe Woe of Tyrants (if you like a cookie cutter Metalblade outfit). What does this mean to you? If you haven’t heard of Lunarium or Woe of Tyrants it won’t matter. The Whispers of War EP has a feel that is of its own (at least in this decade) and certainly in this area is unique. But what does it sound like? Don’t ask me to compare this to other bands. I could give two fucks about 90% of metal out there and do not know many bands. I know what I like and stick to that. What I do know is good music what it crosses my pallet.



The front line of A.o.D. is a ferocious animal consisting of Kurt Miller (lead guitar), Jacob Davis (rhythm guitar), and Matt Harper (bass and lead vokills). I shall start by addressing the guitar line. Kurt is a pure death metal guitarist and he brings the grit and speed to this veritable thrash outfit. Jacob Davis is a solid motherfucking rhythm guitarist. These two weave some extremely catchy guitar lines. There are elements of all types of traditional, thrash, and power metal to be found here. If you ask me that is part of the problem. Nothing is worse than a douche-bag in leather pants with a mullet following talking about how much he love bud light and bitches. These guys aren’t in that vein, but metal is metal. If they get to “metal” at least they have me to try and de-mullet their habits. Matt Harper, in all of his game loosing ways, supplies the low end to this record and the voice. Whoever mixed the bass on this EP is wank residue. I can generally only make out a solid bass line now and again. A low end is prevalent. If a person just wants a lick of the salt block than you will enjoy this. The engineer needs his nuts smashed with a meta tenderizer until he learns how to mix properly. Harper is a damned find bassist and his lines deserve to be felt more than this. Vokills are my major problem with this record. We find Harper to be stuck somewhere between Anthrax and DRI; just enough grit to hammer things home, but not enough range to be truly magical. I think with the full length in the barrel we can see Harper really starting to come into his own behind the mic. It just needs an edge more grit and he will be just perfect. Plus there are some pitch problems now and again…hence…more grit. And yet again, the man mixing this album doesn’t do Matt justice. Seriously, should I take my bag of medieval torture tactics over to his studio until this mix is correct? Maybe a few turns of the thumb screw will teach this person to be more mindful.



I’m sure everyone is asking: Hydro, what do you think about the percussion? If you must know, I took shelter from the fucking nuclear assault that came from my stereo. John Dayton is a fucking artillery machine behind the kit. He writes intelligently passionate drum lines that have some natural fire. I can appreciate some blast beats and this supplies just that. Oh and did I mention Kurt’s death growls are pretty evil. I’m sure some aging metal head in Florida just felt a disturbance in the force.



Out of the six songs of (what I’m going to call) power thrash the last three are the highlights. Frozen Infinity and Execution are brutal masterpieces with great writing. Trinity is a minute and half outro that salivates the ears for the chambered full length. The opening track, Retribution, has become the lead single from the EP and is genuinely radio accessible, but in no means a sellout track. Chains of Oppression, their oldest track in the current catalogue is found to be the weakest song on the EP. Yes, they have eliminated many older tunes after they obtained the guitar slinging expertise of Kurt. Personally, this one is a little much in the Metallica worship department. The track Age of Distrust is the hump song. Didn’t I mention something about stereotypes and Man-O-War earlier? Musically it’s a great track. Lyrically I don’t think there is enough demon slaying and sword slaughter. *rimshot*



I give this a solid 7 out of 10. The EP is above average and swinging out the gate. It is by no means original. Could they really bring the fire on a full length? Yes. What they do have is a VERY solid EP with great musicianship and a so-so mix. I hope they don’t get caught up in bad metal cliché and stereotypical lyrical content. However, those two things just come with metal territory. If a person would want to check this band out they will be opening up for the mighty Death Angel at the Alrosa in Columbus, Oh November 16th 2011. This is only one music snob’s opinion. Venture out, support local music, and make your own decision. I will be looking forward to their full length to see what the band can really bring to the table. If they fuck it up…I’ll be waiting in the shadows to rip it to pieces.



What do you know! I didn’t want to commit seppuku after listening to this. Though, my metal quota for the month is maxed after this review.



No comments:

Post a Comment