Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eerie Von - Misery obsura


I am Hydro, and some things never change. The artwork that I hold today has needed time to sink in. I needed to clear my mind of pure elation. Yes, this is going to be about as non-angry as I could get. The only thing that would make me happier would be unreleased Misfits songs (if they even exist…which I’m sure they don’t). The Book of Poo was started, and for the most part still is, in homage of Glenn Danzig and those associated with him and all forms of music and artwork. To this day that very drive to start making fun and poking a stick at that which we love and gives inspiration maintains to this day. We are fiends. And if you don’t like that go suck a rotten wart hog cock.


However, for those loyal readers, you know that this is not the 7th house and never has been. The Book will now bow to poorly produced music. We do not accept expensive bullshit that Danzig expects us to buy yet gives us nothing we didn’t already have. A DVD with 13 tracks but only 5 songs is a non-lubed fucking with not cuddles. And don’t even get me started on the cluster fucking gang bang Jerry Only calls The Misfits. I digress from the point of my writings. BOPsters will not be cheated by money making schemes and we do not worship every fluid that excretes from Glenn Danzig’s body. We leave that to the 7th house cultists.


When a product of superior nature is released proper due must be given. I come to the point of this review. Eerie Von is the fucking MAN!!! Released in late 2009 on Dark Horse books comes “Misery Obscura”. After 10 years of working this site I never thought I would be looking at a book this cool. I know I’m a few months late on this, but I had to let this settle. Honestly, fear permeated my whole body after the Danzig lyric book; that and the 25 dollar sticker price. Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the Danzig lyric book and am glad to have it, but it could have been so much more. Eerie Von has reestablished my faith in the fiend world.


The book chronicles five eras in Von’s life. Rosemarie’s Babies. The Misfits. Samhain. Danzig. Solo. His photography is brilliant. With all of the rare promo shots, behind the scenes shots, and tour footage we get small stories and little incites to enhance this adventure. This is a collector’s wet dream. I even dig on some Rosemarie’s Babies music. Eerie Von you get the Book of Poo seal of approval.
So this 159 page romp (smoke that one Danzig) starts off with two forward notes. One by Mike D’Antonio of Killswitch Engage and the other by Lyle Preslar from Minor Threat and the first guitarist of Samhain. I honestly don’t know why D’Antonio was asked to write this. Maybe he is friends with Eerie. If that is the case than that is cool. Otherwise I’m calling bullshit. What makes this guy so fucking special? I’m a huge fucking fiend too. I started playing music in part because of The Misfits and Samhain. This does not give me enough credit to write a forward to such a great book. Though with this lack of information I a merely speculating on the subject in a very angry manner. Also, metalcore and Killswitch Engage are very shitty. I’m not a fan of that crap and hold it up with new school metal influenced hardcore. YUCK! I’ll tell you what doesn’t suck. Old school hardcore such as Minor Threat is pretty damned sweet. Lyle Preslar is a pretty funny guy. His forward oozes of sarcasm and fond memories of the time. The sense that he knew he didn’t really fit in Samhain is evident, but he gave it a good try. This was a pleasant read to start off this addicting journey.


Chapter 1 begins when Eerie and Doyle were attending Lodi High, New Jersey. Anyone deeply familiar with The Misfits and their old scene knows about Lodi. Von covers 1978 – 1981. Photo’s of he and Doyle in class and dressed in their high school sports team uniforms are really neat. Things really take off starting in 1981’ as Doyle joins the Misfits. Eerie get’s his first photography jobs with the band. I had always wondered about the infamous cave photos and the stories behind that. Maybe I’m just a fan boy, but this is just damned fascinating. The contrast between spooky and punk rock helped inspire a whole genre. The picture of the band coming out of the cave is just super bad ass too (pg 21). I really want that t-shirt. The pictures make me a little sad as well. Back when Danzig cared more about his fans, Jerry Only wasn’t such a douche bag and looked cool (less like a punk rock bowling pin w/devilock), and the music was raw. There are various show shoots presented. Also, a few pictures pop up (I’d seen online) that I had wondered who was presented in the photo. My curiosity has been sated.



The DIY ethic that ran rampant through the many years of this mans work is prevalent here. Eerie states several times that he developed his own pictures in his basement and ran copies. That is really cool. I endorse this type of ethic in this rampant age of instant gratification. DIY or Die!!! The various custom shirts that are pointed out in the early photos are amazing. Glenn sports a great Count Chocula shirt. I could go on about nearly every page in the book, but that would be pointless. Chapter one is just Misfits and Rosemarie’s Babies overload. It is a fine reminder of past events if you were there, and a genuine peak if you weren’t.
Chapter two starts the Samhain era. There are some great shoots done by Eerie that were never seen by the public. This is one of my favorite eras of Glenns career. It was far more realistic and spiritual. The pure “tear your face off” horror was still there, but the hole went deeper. Von delivers a visit to the King’s house in Graceland many unseen promo shots, stories about blood, and the first meetings with Rick Rubin. I could not have asked for anything more.


Next the behemoth arises from the ashes, Danzig. Eerie gives his take on the happenings for those early years up through the beginnings of change in 94. So 6 or 7 years of Danzig touring documentation is shown. The picture of Glenn in the vocal booth (pg 100) is really damned cool. The many different studio sessions shown are very nice. Many photos of Metallica (close friends of the band), White Zombie, and Marilyn Manson can be seen throughout. I’m a big White Zombie fan so that was a real treat. For some reason I didn’t know that Jesse James, of West Coast Choppers fame, was security for Danzig. I’m sure I just missed that one in my rabid lust of Samhain and Misfits history. My Danzig knowledge lacks in some areas; extended crew being one of these areas.


The final bits of chapter give Eerie’s take on the split of the original Danzig line up. From what I’ve heard he wasn’t biased much at all. Once Biscuits left the fun ended. He was the heart. The two pages of crew photos are really cool. I cannot say enough good things about the book. Even with the near buzz kill at the end the documentation and well taken photos kick ass.


My one complaint about the whole book is that we do not have enough of Eerie Von’s own fiend art and recent photography. I understand how and why he put this together, but I want to know what he is doing now. He lists his recent CD. All of which I really want to review on the Book. Seriously, Eerie, get on sending me those and I’ll do a write up. His artwork is “incredible”. I honestly want some on my wall. An individual piece of art by a great man would be great for my collection. What more could any fiend want. Many years ago, just before the last mock interview of the Book came out we had the idea to do one with Eerie. That may still see the light of day. However, after reading his final entry into this book I understand the spot he was in. Hard times hit everyone. It does make me happy that he is getting back out into the world and spooking things up. But really…only four paintings out of dozens? Come on Eerie, we want more.


Go forth my legions and buy this book. If you are a fan of any of the aforementioned bands then get this as fast as possible. If you want to support an independent fiend who is still putting out quality material, then get this book. If you are a fan of old school east coast punk…well you know the drill.



No comments:

Post a Comment